ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
Christine Reintjes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2006 15:07:20 +0000
Hi Eduard,

Thanks for being such an active member of the list! I've been reading your
comments with interest for a while, but I mostly lurk due to being busy. I
think that people have different ideas of what is meant by code mixing or
code switching. I think if I had a few minutes to talk to you or Bill Cosby,
you would applaud my approach to my students who struggle with Standard
English and feel constantly put down when they speak naturally and
spontaneously.

My students are teaching me their native dialect. They are delighted to
correct me and drill me, so that I can use the structures naturally without
sounding "foreign." We discuss the Standard equivalent to the form they use.
They absolutely love it when I ask them if I'm using it "correctly" or
saying it "right" as I practice their dialect forms.  They have a whole new
approach now, and I feel as if a weight has been lifted off them. Deep down
inside they know that native dialect is not "wrong, or bad" but that's all
they've ever heard. They are well aware of the power and usefulness of the
Standard dialect. I teach the Standard Dialect. I also teach them French,
Spanish and Italian words as well as sign language. I want them to be
excited about differences and make connections.

I tell them that some people will accuse me of teaching them that the
Standard Dialect is not important and that they don't have to learn it to
succeed. I make sure they understand that I am not saying that in any form.
They have to repeat back to me what I AM saying. They love me for not
bashing them about their native language. They love me for wanting to learn
it and having fun while they laugh at my ineptness. I love them for how
ready they are to forgive past teachers for trashing their native dialects.
I witnessed this when I was in school and I witnessed it recently at the
school where I teach.

I think we're on the same side, but I think they is a big misunderstanding
of what is going on. I think Rebecca Wheeler's work is brilliant, and I am
inspired to use her techniques. Let me know if this makes any sense to you.

Christine

--

Christine Reintjes Martin