ATEG Archives

March 2015

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2015 04:43:03 +0000
Nathalia,

One additional trick for approaching this (although Til's "therefore test" is the easiest for most students) is to distinguish coordinating "so" from subordinating "so (that)" -- we don't always say or write the 'that' after the second one, but we can always add it. Using Til's sentences and adding 'that':

(Works) I went to bed early so that I could get a good night's sleep
(Ick.)      It is very hot outside today, so that I'm not going to wear a jacket

This won't work, however, if you have ESL students (since it relies on native-speaker instincts) and also becomes less effective if the sentence is long (since readers get hazy on what the earlier part of the sentence was).

Bill Spruiell
Central Michigan University