ATEG Archives

October 2007

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:32:50 -0400
 @Study>
	Rule breakdown below
	 pts rule name              description
	0.12 CN_BODY_332            BODY: CN_BODY_332

Bruce,

  Those are very complex questions, and I=E2=80=99m wondering about a way=
 to=20
phrase all this so it might be of use to the group as a whole.

   I don=E2=80=99t have Halliday=E2=80=99s Intro to functional grammar wi=
th me here at=20
work, and I=E2=80=99ll consult it later, but I seem to remember him sayin=
g that=20
there is a computerized version of the grammar which works this out in=20
great detail as a system of choices. Systemic functional grammar is=20
systemic, and it is a grammar. It is a =E2=80=9Cnatural=E2=80=9D grammar,=
 meaning that=20
it attempts to account for the grammar that it finds. It is=20
=E2=80=9Csemantically leaning=E2=80=9D. I think, though please correct me=
 if I=E2=80=99m wrong,=20
that generative grammar is more biologically leaning, looking to=20
describe the rules for the generation of forms.  A functional grammar=20
looks at grammar from the perspective of meaning, and it thinks of=20
meaning as multi-functional, as including, not just a representation of=20
the world, but interaction and the production of text. It also broadens=20
out to field, tenor, and mode, which have definitions that I won=E2=80=99=
t trust=20
to memory. Mode includes =E2=80=9Cgenre=E2=80=9D. A good deal of pedagogi=
cal interest=20
these days is in genre as a center of concern. =E2=80=9CGenre=E2=80=9D is=
 looked at as=20
something purposeful, culturally formed, dynamic, staged (not just a=20
single stage). It is wide enough to include things like marriage=20
proposals along with lab reports or academic arguments. So it is typical=20
in a classroom in England or Australia to have students examine=20
advertisements and make observations about the kind of language that=20
shows up and the way it is used, then construct advertisements of their=20
own. Advertisement is a genre and it may have sub-genres. If we extend=20
this genre focus out, it can give us a way to directly link both reading=20
and writing to a deeper understanding of language and how it works in=20
the real world. The theoretical position would be that the forms of=20
language are responsive to context. I am currently working this out in a=20
Reading Literature class, starting with the notion of story and how it=20
works. How is orientation built in? How does a story writer handle=20
point-of-view (which is a technical term in literature)? I can find key=20
paragraphs and bring that right down to the level of the sentence. If=20
McDonald=E2=80=99s is now running a campaign around =E2=80=9CI=E2=80=99m =
loving it=E2=80=9D, why is that=20
effective? Is the word =E2=80=9Clove=E2=80=9D usually used that way?  How=
 does present=20
progressive, in this case, connect with the desire to sell hamburgers?

    Here=E2=80=99s where we might differ in theoretical perspective. You =
say the=20
following:

=E2=80=9CThe utterance dimensions are quite different from the semantic=20
structure.  The semantics has been abstracted, and manipulated by=20
language, to be represented in the utterance.=E2=80=9D

    I admit I=E2=80=99m not quite sure what that means or how it works ou=
t in=20
practice. But because of my current reading in cognitive linguistics and=20
in usage based approaches, I don=E2=80=99t think of grammar =E2=80=9Crule=
s=E2=80=9D (syntax=20
rules) as having an autonomous existence that then drives discourse. It=20
may be better to think of grammar =E2=80=9Crules=E2=80=9D as patterns tha=
t arise from=20
our being in the world. We can=E2=80=99t understand language without=20
understanding the nature of cognition. The mind, as Lakoff keeps saying,=20
is deeply =E2=80=9Cembodied=E2=80=9D, and language itself is deeply influ=
enced by our=20
sensory motor experience of the world. And we can't understand language=20
without thinking of it as having a social dimension. It is not an=20
objective world, but a deeply human world that we experience through=20
language.

 Here=E2=80=99s another take on it from the perspective of Adele Goldberg=
, as=20
summarized by Croft and Cruse (Cognitive Linguistics, Cambridge 2004):=20
=E2=80=9Cthe complex event or situation is treated as the primitive unit =
of=20
semantic representation, and the definitions of the roles in the event=20
are derived from the situation as a whole.=E2=80=9D  As I understand this=
, this=20
means that di-transitive constructions (for example, =E2=80=9CSally gave =
Mary a=20
ball=E2=80=9D) arise from the nature of the processes, in this case givin=
g, not=20
from an abstract set of =E2=80=9Crules=E2=80=9D.  She has sub-categories =
of=20
ditransitivity, which differ from each other because of the nature of=20
the processes involved. But =E2=80=9Cgiving=E2=80=9D is the prototype.(=E2=
=80=9CPrototype=E2=80=9D is an=20
important part of cognitive theory, which grounds meaning in a study of=20
how the mind works. Prototypes are very important for our understanding=20
of categories.) Other ditransitive constructions can be thought of as=20
=E2=80=9Cextensions of the prototype.=E2=80=9D

    As you can see, this changes radically the notion of =E2=80=9Crules=E2=
=80=9D and=20
their role in discourse. It looks at rules as growing out of language=20
use, not as separate from it. These are more like patterns. And any=20
attempt to reduce language down to abstractions from these patterns may=20
give us a false impression of how language works and take us away from=20
the living, dynamic language, not closer to it.=20

     =E2=80=9CConstructions=E2=80=9D are themselves meaningful, not merel=
y conveyors of=20
meaning.

    From this perspective, too, grammar is learned, not merely=20
activated. In fact, work is being done to study childhood language=20
acquisition from this perspective, and it seems to hold up very well in=20
practice.

   Implications for us? There may be good reasons why =E2=80=9Cformal gra=
mmar=E2=80=99=20
does not carry over to writing. But at the same time, we may be able to=20
make a great case for the importance of individuals being mentored into=20
language, a great case for language acquisition as a life-long process,=20
a great case for attention to language as deeply tied to the goals of=20
literacy, including reading and writing.

Craig

Bruce D. Despain wrote:
> Craig,
>
> You will probably see that our positions on functionality are not that=20
> different.  The approach is just different.  The imaginary context=20
> itself has a structure -- a semantic structure that stretches across=20
> several dimensions.  What we utter has to reside in a string -- just=20
> one dimension in time that has a dimension of sound that is analyzed=20
> into multiple dimensions.  The utterance dimensions are quite=20
> different from the semantic structure.  The semantics has been=20
> abstracted, and manipulated by language, to be represented in the=20
> utterance.  There is a lot missing; there is a lot filled in.  I am=20
> looking for a set of functions in the mathematical sense that can use=20
> the semantic fields (planes, layers, dimensions) as its domain and map=20
> their values onto a range in the linguistic planes of syntax,=20
> morphology, phonology, orthographics.  Would you claim there to be a=20
> linguistic plane of "functional" elements that these semantics get=20
> mapped to?  Or would it be better to say that these elements are a=20
> part of the semantics and remain there only to be discerned after the=20
> linguistic elements have been displayed to the mind?
>
> The "functional" layer, maybe, is a filtering of the already complex=20
> clumping of semantic elements.  What is its nature?  Perhaps it=20
> doesn't work with elements at all.  But science needs an analysis into=20
> parts.  Can the context of an utterance be described in terms other=20
> than the terms that describe the rest of the semantic layers?  I=20
> wonder if maybe it is "simply" another way of dividing up the layers=20
> of a semantic analysis.  The example I gave from Bolinger was meant to=20
> demonstrate just what you were saying about the ubiquitous clumping of=20
> semantic elements in the language (English) idiom.  We could say it is=20
> "functional" or we could say it is a "hidden" part of the semantics =20
> -- the semantics of an "extra-linguistic" context --  one that could=20
> be coded in language, if we chose to.  The semantics begs for=20
> description (some scientists have used rules of the form used in logic=20
> and mathematics) and I simply think that the "functional" does too.
>
> Bruce
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Hancock" <[log in to unmask]>

Is