ATEG Archives

June 2009

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 2009 14:00:21 -0400
Edith,

There's an alternate source of /h/ in words like this a number of dialects -- it's a side effect of English "losing" /h/ on other words. Speakers feel that they're supposed to say some /h/s on words they aren't, and they overcompensate and put them in where they never were (the same thing happens with /r/ on the east coast; those people who pronounce 'car' as roughly /ka/ also tend to pronounce 'Africa' as "Afriker"). I have a friend from Australia who inserts the occasional /h/ this way. I'd have to do some digging to find out what's going on with the Ohio dialect, but as an initial guess, I'd suspect overcompensation.

Sincerely,

Bill Spruiell