ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:05:26 -0500
Brad,
    Here is the first sentence to Hemingway's The Old man and the Sea:
"He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the gulf Stream and he
had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish." It starts in past
and shifts to past perfect to discuss a period of time continuing into
the day the narrative starts. If you look at the whole paragraph, you
can see how he carries that out in following sentences as well.
The point all of us are trying to make (patiently, I think) is that
context matters.
    "John was angry. His application had been turned down twice in three
weeks."
   There are very good reasons to mix these structures in a single
sentence.

Craig