ATEG Archives

August 2006

Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:31:27 -0400
 Herb, Who was "running through the  tall grass"? Peace, David  --- On Wed 08/30, Stahlke, Herbert F.W. &lt; [log in to unmask] &gt; wrote:From: Stahlke, Herbert F.W. [mailto: [log in to unmask]]To: [log in to unmask]: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:21:20 -0400Subject: Re: Grammar CertificationYour example raises the question of what should be on such a test, whichgets us right back to the question of what a grammar curriculum shouldcover. The guard saw the escapee running through the tall grass."Running through the tall grass" here can be either an adjective clauseor an object complement, although I find the OC interpretation moreobvious. If I front the participial phrase, Running through the tall grass, the guard saw the escapee, it becomes adverbial. But we're still back to the question of what people should know if theyare to know grammar.Herb-----Original Message-----From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Phil