ATEG Archives

November 2011

From:
Edmond Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2011 16:05:31 +0000
As one British speaker on the list, I would say from my own experience that
'I shan't' is still common in Britain.  'I won't' is just as common but
certainly retains its sense of willed deliberation as against the simple
future sense of 'I shan't'.

'Mustn't' and 'needn't' are in common parlance here.

Edmond