ATEG Archives

August 2001

From:
Sophie Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 12:55:53 +1000
Johanna, I am grateful that you've made (inter alia) this point:

I guess the point I want to make is that not every construction can be
easily analyzed into parts, and that not every construction is a neutral
template that will work with every verb in the language.

May I ask this: Is it `constructions' that sometimes cannot be `easily
analysed', or is it the semantic extension of some words, and our
terminology for analysis, that create a problem? For instance, I am
deploying the infinite `to go' for quite dissimilar semantic ends when I
say:

`I went teaching/I went on stage'

and

`I went fishing'.

That recognised, structural analysis poses no real problem: I can decide of
both sentences that the complement of `went' is either a locative noun
(gerund) that specifies the direction of the copular verb `went', or it is
an adverb that tells us where the subject `I' went. No matter which
terminology (`locative noun' or `adverb') I use, the fact remains constant
that I have isolated the syntactic relationships that are operative in my
sentences.

This `locative noun (gerund)' and `adverb' worth of conceptual fusion is a
`one-off' in syntactic analysis: It shouldn't  condemn the  power of  syntax
to construct neutral templates.

Sophie Johnson
at ENGLISH  GRAMMAR TUTOR
http://www.englishgrammartutor.com/