ATEG Archives

April 2009

From:
"O'Sullivan, Brian P" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 2009 17:12:03 -0400
Brad says "I concluded from an early questionnaire, in which 40 respondents differed 60-40 on one simple either-or choice and the same people differed 50-50 on another, that there is some misunderstanding somewhere....There WAS a demonstrable difference in how professional grammarians viewed it, whatever "it" was."

But does "a demonstrable difference in how professional grammarians viewed it" necessarily amount to a "misunderstanding"? I don't think it does. There might not be a singular or definitive right answer to the question at hand, and if there isn't, various grammarians may all understand the issue well enough but still arrive at different answers.

Brian