ATEG Archives

April 2008

From:
"O'Sullivan, Brian P" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 18:04:21 -0400
The test is lamentable. On a side note, though, I'm wondering if I'm the only one who thinks that example A (alone on the list) is an actual improvement (and not just because, as noted earlier, it would satisfy the Chicago Manual)?

For me, assuming that the sentence's context lets readers know what building is under discussion, the phrase "which was a firetrap" is non-restrictive, and setting it off makes the sentence seem less rushed and better structured.

Or is that assumption about context the problem with this example?

Brian