ATEG Archives

March 2005

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 09:59:56 -0800
Like Johanna and others, I don't see the imperative as a finite form.
Quite apart from the semantics, I think that the implications of the
implied "you," a topic which has already been raised, point us towards
seeing why the form is the infinitive.

One of the strongest pieces of evidence for saying that "you" really is
the implied subject of an imperative is the behavior of tag questions:

  Take out the garbage, won't you.

The subject of the tag question has to agree with the subject of the
main clause, and the fact that we can't replace "you" with any other
pronoun strongly suggests an implied subject.

But a second requirement for tag questions is that the verb in the tag
be a copy of the first auxiliary verb in the main clause (e.g., "George
is coming, isn't he?"). When there's no auxiliary, we fall back on the
dummy verb DO (e.g., "George came, didn't he?").

The tag question of an imperative, however, does not use DO. It uses the
negative of "will." In other words, imperatives don't just have an
implied "you"--they also have an implied modal auxiliary, "will.":

   [PRO] [MODAL] take out the garbage.

And, of course, the verb form used after any modal auxiliary is the
infinitive.

Karl Hagen
Department of English
Mount St. Mary's College