ATEG Archives

May 2010

From:
Linda Di Desidero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2010 12:09:58 -0400
I don't know whether "unquestioned" is what Rodriguez means to say. When
you think of that word, it is certainly odd in that sentence (at least
to me).
 I think he means

"The information gathered from a book was never questioned."

And THAT would be a passive.

To say that something is 'unquestioned' strikes me as possibly an
informal use of language (as is Nicholas Sparks's use of past tense).
We can say that something, e.g. authority, is unquestionable, but what
does it mean to say that it is unquestioned? What would the difference
be between 'unquestioned' and 'unquestionable'?  The only answer that
seems sensible to me is that 'unquestioned' is an informal way of saying
'never questioned.'

Linda

Linda Di Desidero, Ph.D.
Director, Communication Studies & Professional Writing

University of Maryland University College
School of Undergraduate Studies
3501 University Boulevard East
Adelphi, MD  20783-8083

http://www.umuc.edu/departments/comm/comm_studies/index.shtml