ATEG Archives

November 2007

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2007 13:34:28 -0500
Ron,
   I'll give you the five minute answer and not the two hour one.
   I think we need to admit that any formal grammar won't translate all
by itself to reading or writing. If we want to teach formal grammar (and
I am not against it) we need to find ways to put that knowledge base to
work or else not complain when people tell us it isn't happening.
Cognitive and functional approaches don't have that linking problem
because they are, by their very nature, linked to deeper order concerns.
If we look, for example, at the huge role of metaphor in all language,
we have erased the boundary between language and literature. If we look
at the meaningfulness of constructions, we are already attending to
applications. The whole argument for or against grammar is something we
can put into the past, as relevant to prescriptive or formal grammars,
but not to cognitive or functional ones.
   Of course, there is a huge gap between what's in the theory and
what's in general knowledge. Progress would come from those of us
interested in closing the gap.

Craig