ATEG Archives

October 2005

From:
Jeanne Rodgers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:18:43 -0700
Using the antecedent after the pronoun in this case sounds better because in the introductory phrase, the "antecedent" is really an determiner or adjective.  I remember a discussion on the list serve a few months ago attempting to figure out if a determiner can serve as an antecedent for a pronoun.  Your example shows that if another possible antecedent is present (Beowulf, in this case) using a determiner as an antecedent can cause some confusion or at least a feeling that something isn't quite right.
Jeanne Rodgers
CSU, Sacramento