ATEG Archives

March 1997

Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 09:21:15 -0500
Ed, There is a difference, I think, between "any more" meaning an
additional quantity and "anymore," a synonym for "nowadays,"
with the implication that things were different in the past, but past
practice has stopped. Your colleague probably feels that handing
in papers is not a practice that has stopped. In order to get the
full implication of "anymore" in your statement you have to look
ahead to the part about the Internet as the new source of papers.

I see nothing wrong with your statement. I understood it with no
trouble. It does have a slight informal tone to it, that's all.
        --Bill Murdick