ATEG Archives

June 2001

From:
Maureen Fitzpatrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 10:13:01 -0500
I think Paul Doniger's wonderful observations about Dicken's raise the
larger question - is punctuation "grammar"?

There are, of course, at least two kinds of grammar - the grammar that keeps
us from writing "wrinkles spots and laundry out get hopefully will" and the
grammar that stops us from writing "we is tired so we tooked a naps" and I
think we could find dozens of definitions or distinctions in between.

But, strictly speaking, is how you punctuate "grammar" or is it just an
artificial and completely invented way of trying to organize a language
which was originally developed to be oral so that it makes sense when
written (or is it something in between)?

If we accept that punctuation is a made-up thing, standardized by printers
and varying somewhat from nation to nation, can't its conventions be both
flexible and fallible? And, to get back to one of the original questions, is
seventh grade really too early for writer's to understand that everything in
writing is not always black and white, correct or incorrect?

Maureen Fitzpatrick
Associate Professor, English
Johnson County Community College