ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2009 19:00:37 -0500
Mike,

The OED classifies "aware" as a predicate adjective, but it has the following 2008 addition:
DRAFT ADDITIONS DECEMBER 2008
    aware, adj.
   Generally concerned and well informed, esp. with respect to a particular issue or field; sensitive, 'savvy'. Freq. with modifying adverb indicating the relevant issue or field. Cf. politically aware adj. at POLITICALLY adv. Compounds 1.
1932 Chicago Daily Tribune 4 Dec. viii. 5/1 (heading) Queries that reach Editor's etiquette desk. Socially aware individual is particular about all the details of conduct. 1938 M. ALLINGHAM Fashion in Shrouds ix. 138 Her naïve delight in her captive would have been disarming, but this morning..it was not quite forgivable and succeeded in striking a démodé note in that aware community. 1971 Acad. Managem. Jrnl. 14 107 Are not..purchasing agents..and ultimate consumers also members of this same society which we have admitted is ever-more environmentally aware and adamant? 1990 Times (Nexis) 24 Oct., People have become extremely aware and price sensitive. 2007 Vanity Fair June (On Time Suppl.) 43/2 The stellar growth of the Chinese economy is set to be another influence on the vintage-watch market as Far Eastern buyers become more horologically aware.
This suggests something short of full attributive status.  As an attributive adjective "aware" has to be modified or specified in some way, whether by an adverb or demonstrative.

Herb