ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2006 09:56:45 -0400
Don,
   I'm not sold yet on the comparative,  noncomparitive distinction.
Comparative and superlative are identifying (or limiting) functions of
their own, are they not? "He was the tallest of his class." "He ate
nothing but the reddest, smoothest apples."
   I'll be scratching my head for awhile on the prepositional phrase
point. I'm usually slow to come around.
   I like to point out that common nouns and abstract nouns almost cry out
for restriction. Unless it's a "proper noun", nounness simply means
"member (or members) of a class", and this can be undifferentiated (a
cow, cows) or identified in any of a number of ways. (My cow. Your cow.
A wild cow. "Some of the strangest cows I have seen at the county
fairs...") In subject slot, that simply means fine-tuning what you are
bringing into focus.
   I also like the cognitivists' view that the prototypical noun is a
'bounded entity", but that we extend that "solidity" to many abstract
concepts. So many (murder, lecture, contact, flow) are both nouns and
verbs in almost equal weight. Meanings also build radially, so that
"coat of paint" makes sense to us by metaphoric extension of its
original meaning. "Heart" implies "center," so we have "heart of
darkness. Heart of discourse."
   I love what Christensen says about a restrictive statement implying its
opposite.
   All of this brings grammar right smack into the heart of discourse,
with "error" clearly linked to a failure to build and convey
significant meaning. So much gets lost with textbook sentences, out of
context of discourse. I think you're right to link grammar to the books
your students are reading; I immediately started to do more of that the
day after I left the conference.
   Whatever we do with scope and sequence, we shouldn't imply that schools
and teachers shouldn't go beyond that. The "all we need is X" mentality
is an anti-grammar mentality, even when it parades itself as an
approach to grammar. As Phil points out, we don't make those
restrictions in any other field.

Craig

 First, sorry, folks,  about the double posting—I got myself a new email