ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2006 08:21:37 -0400
Paul, DD, Peter, et al.
   Perhaps the practice can be better defended with sentence ending
prepositions that aren't redundant and seem OK, even strong.
   "What is it listed under?"
   "She left with the guy she came with."
   "It's not worth the paper it's printed on."
It's interesting that the alternatives often require extra words and add a
feeling of stuffiness.
   "Under what is it listed?"
   "She left with the guy with whom she came."
   "It's not worth the paper on which it is printed."
Of the three "corrected" versions, none seem an improvement and the second
and third seem much worse.

Craig>

 DD,