ATEG Archives

April 2001

From:
David D Mulroy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 15:21:38 -0500
On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Johanna Rubba wrote:

Johanna,

In reading your post, I begin to wonder what the difficulty is.  I have to
explain the English present perfect to Latin students all the time, since
the Latin "perfect" is used both when English speakers would use the
present perfect and when they would use the simple or remote past.  My
explanation is the present perfect is used to characterize an action that
is complete ("perfect") but was completed so recently that it is still
relevant to one's understanding of the present moment.  "The Chinese have
refused to return our spy plane," but not "Brutus has assassinated
Caesar."  Granted, like any semantic characterization, this basic idea
will have a number of different applications depending on the context.
What I wonder is what kind of description of the use of the present
perfect would satisfy of contemporary linguist.  Would it be a
better version of a definition like the one that I suggest or a completely
explicit set of empirical rules... or what?

David