ATEG Archives

October 2007

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2007 19:36:07 -0400
Bob,
  I believe that a hammer is formed like a hammer because that form is
suitable for its function. In that sense, the forms of grammar are
context sensitive. We have ways to ask questions, for example, or make
statements. These have evolved because language occurs between people,
and we have evolved ways to offer or request information, and we have
evolved ways to target the specific information we are looking for or
offering, and so on. You can disagree, but I don't think that is an
unusual position.
   There are different kinds of context relevant, one kind of which is the
surrounding sentences. Another, of course, is the place and setting and
relations between the participants (parent and child or teacher and
student) and so on, all of which certainly factor in. We should also
include the intonation pattern, which can change the tone and the
emphasis quite easily and routinely. (These can certainly be thought of
as part of the grammar.) But to say that syntax alone isn't sufficient
is not to say that it doesn't have a huge role in the construction and
construal of meaning. Grammar is a resource for interaction.
   I think I have heard the schema exemplified by "How cold does it have
to get" before in a number of instances and so have come to expect that
it is being used sarcastically when it is posited as an equivalent to
"shut the window." But I won't go so far as to say it has to be
sarcastic. If it wasn't sarcastic, though, then Bruce wouldn't have
been able to say it means the same thing as "shut the window". Example:
someone says, "please lower the temperature." And I say "How cold does
it have to get before I shut the window?" But it would be a huge
stretch to think of that as an order.
   I think there are schema that carry with them an expected tone. I
suspect we have all heard teachers say "How many times do I have to ask
you to be quiet" or mothers who have said "How many times do I have to
ask you to clean your room." We don't need the second part of the
statement or to hear the actual intonation to suspect that this is a
person at the end of their patience. The main factor here is frequency.
We can vary expectations, of course, but they are real.
   Quite frankly, we need a theory of grammar that can help us understand
what is going on within any context of use. As I said to Bruce, you
can't expect to get to context from form. But we need a grammar that
recognizes the interactive nature of discourse and the special features
of syntax that help us organize longer stretches of talk or text.
   "A drunk driver killed my dog" is a different statement from "My dog
was killed by a drunk driver." There is an overlap of meaning, of
course, but what changes is the focus of the proposition, the
information in the usual "given" slot, and the information in clause
ending emphasis. They only mean the same thing if you think those other
"meanings" are unimportant.
   I don't think it is making subject ambigious to say that actor and
grammatical subject don't always coincide, and there are very
practical, very meaningful reasons for those variations. Those reasons
are much easier to talk about in context.

Craig

Craig,