ATEG Archives

September 2011

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Sep 2011 13:59:54 -0400
Edmond,

Thanks for clarifying some matters on h-dropping in BrE.  American speakers almost universally say "aitch," not "haitch."  H-drop is so much not a factor in American culture that we do actually get the /h/ inserted in "an historic event" in the formal speech of a lot of newsreaders, and people tend to think that that highly irregular form is prescriptively correct.  I think that's where this thread started.

I should have added, in my previous note on hit/hits that the form 'em, which works for both "him" and "them" goes back to Old English.  Clearly there was voiced th-drop in weak syllables as well.

Herb