ATEG Archives

November 2001

From:
Judy Diamondstone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 23:44:24 -0500
Thanks, Carolyn, for the reference to grammatical metaphor in IFG.
Grammatical metaphor is one of Halliday's conceptual tools for working out
the relations between different strata of the meaning-making system as it
changes over time. It's a tough one (at least for me) to really 'get.'

For the record:
>     a) John wants someone to work for.
>     b) John wants someone to work for him.
c) John wants someone to work over
d) John wants someone to work him over
e) John wants someone to work
f) John wants work
g) John wants workers
h) John wants the works
i)......

different word arrangements with different meaning potentials in certain
contexts...  [In the words of someone else] "Context is a very BIG place (a
time-space in phylogenetic motion)."

To answer Joanna's question whether Halliday recognizes speech act theory,
I was certain he does, so I got out my copy of An Introduction to
Functional Grammar, 2nd edition, 1994.   Chapter 10, pages 340-367, is
devoted to what systemicists call grammatical metaphor.  They discuss it so
much that elsewhere they abbreviate it and call it GM.  At the bottom of
365 Halliday says, "Metaphors of this kind have been extensively studied in
speech act theory, originally under the heading of 'perlocutionary' acts."
An example analyzed on page 367 compares "Is the position still available?"
with "I was wondering if the position is still available."

Systemic functional grammar emphasizes that all language is involved in
contexts, ranging from overall culture down to specific identities of
speaker and hearer accomplishing a certain action....