ATEG Archives

October 2014

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2014 07:26:25 -0700
The sentence is not a fragment. It’s inane and stylistically inept, but it’s syntactically complete.

The matrix of the main clause follows a subject-linking verb-complement structure: “this quote is a reminder …”

The complement contains a content clause. The subject of the content clause is a gerund phrase: “standing by each other”, and the verb in this clause is finite, as it should be.

There are multiple issues with this sentence, in style and substance, that go far beyond anything a simple fix could do even it were a fragment.

A side note: I’m curious if the teacher marked the sentence this way because of “for”. I’ve run across teachers in the past who mark sentences beginning with the FANBOYS words as incorrect because they believe that such creates a fragment.