ATEG Archives

June 2011

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2011 18:45:20 +0000
I remember being quite put out by "iced cream" when I encountered the example in a historical linguistics class when I was in early graduate school -- I had this comfortable sense of righteous indignation at people who were writing "ice tea," and then the example contextualized the entire thing at the expense of my inner prescriptivist. Darn history and its humility-inducing ways.

For what it's worth, the historical COHA corpus has an 18:2 tilt in favor of "didn't use to," with the bulk of "use"-examples being 1890 or earlier and all two "used"-examples being later. But those are very small numbers, and at least one of them is a potentially false hit, so I'm not sure how much that tells us. For modern English, COCA has 2:2, so it's a wash. Google-searching gets you 123:73 (million), keeping in mind that Googling gets you tons of false hits of various sorts (the results only mean much if the factors causing the false hits are relatively equivalent for both of the things you're searching for).

My brain wants to treat "used to" as a fully fused form, analogous to "supposed to," and since I think "I wasn't suppose to do that" looks odd, I don't want to write "I didn't use to do that."  But the numbers seem to be slightly in favor of the "didn't use to" variant, and that ice cream effect will probably tilt things further.

--- Bill Spruiell