ATEG Archives

March 2015

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2015 17:08:58 -0700
Even strong students may well lack the grammatical foundation to declare _what_ is wrong. A better starting point would simply be to try to get them to feel intuitively _that_ something is wrong. In such cases, I like to present them with simple version of the sentence, because in such cases, a large part of the issue may be that they get lost in the complexity of the sentence opener. I suspect if you showed them a sentence like "According to Wegman explains that people can be put behind bars" they might better be able to see the problem.