ATEG Archives

November 2011

From:
Scott Catledge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:48:08 -0500
I am wondering why distinctions that were not difficult for my rural
seventh-grade
English students in the early '60s (e.g., like~as, who~whom) and quickly
mastered
are now too difficult or unnecessary.   Having taught/tutored English off
and on
from 1959 to 1995, I had not noticed such a decline.  I did notice that
fellow teachers
who began teaching English after beginning college in the '60s and
afterwards often
seemed to have more problems explaining English usage to their students and
tended
to be far more slangy in conversing, even on academic topics.  "He was,
like, you know,
way out in his try to diagramming a sentence. " This was a sentence that I
actually recall
hearing from someone hired to teach English.   In his defense, he had
majored in Modern
American literature with a specialty in cinema at a prestigious NE school.

I only use 'mustn't' and 'needn't' in casual speech; otherwise, I use 'must
not' and 'need not.'
I am not understanding the problem; will someone please elucidate?

Scott Catledge