ATEG Archives

March 2005

From:
Beth Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 12:19:55 -0500
Bruce, thanks--I'll share this with my students, who will appreciate the
added perspective/dimension.  They already enjoy discussing which verbs
seem more "noun-y" and which nouns seem more "verb-y," as with the verb
meanings of "chair" vs the noun meanings of verbs like "see" (e.g. a
psychic "seeing" vs a physical "sighting") or "fly" (e.g., catching
something "on the fly") and words that perhaps used to be more verb-y
but have changed (e.g., "wedding").

Beth

Beth Rapp Young
http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~byoung

University of Central Florida
From Promise to Prominence: Celebrating 40 Years.

Beth,

It is of some interest that the word "chair" is one of those nouns
named for
its function.  It has the function built into its semantics.  So it is
with
"noun," "verb," etc.  The parts of speech have their typical
grammatical
function built into their names.  I think it is instructive to point
out the
various semantic aspects or dimensions by which a class of things gets
a name.
Often it is by its shape, e.g., drop, pile, pole; sometimes by size,
e.g.,
dwarf, giant, planet; sometimes by other characteristics.  We often
encourage
our students to use words in new ways, and as poets we play with the
semantics.
Some radicals successfully play with syntax, which can be dangerous.
It always
seems to involve messing around with grammatical functions.  As one
time
inovations become conventional our grammar changes.  Parts of speech
split into
more specialized categories according to their typical functions.  Word
forms
shift into other uses and other parts of speech.  It is no small
challenge to
try to keep up with it all.

Bruce

I'm learning a lot from this discussion (as always), so I'll just make
a tiny
contribution: my own favorite analogy of form/function, similar to
Joanna's
except possible to physically demonstrate in the classroom:

If I sit on the table, does that make it a chair?  No, but I'm using it
as a
chair.  What if I were to stand on it--does that make it a footstool?
etc.

If I'm feeling particularly inspired, I can talk about sitting/standing
on
other objects that are more or less suitable for those functions.

Beth

My favorite analogy for form vs. function is draught animals. You have
function: pulling a wagon or plow. You have various 'forms': species
of
animals. Several animal species are suited to pulling things thanks to
their strength and their willingness to take direction: mules, horses,
oxen, water buffalo ... You harness one of these animals into the
traces
of a wagon or plow, and it performs the function.

If you usually use a mule and it dies, and you buy an ox, the ox does
not turn into a mule when it is put into the traces. It stays an ox,
but
performs the same function that the mule did.

With respect to grammar: In phrase structure, you have roles such as
modifier and head. If the head is a noun, a number of forms can modify
it in pre-noun position:

ADJ:                    a clever child
Present participle:     a sleeping child
Past participle:        a disappointed child
Noun:                   a ghost child  (or ghost ship)

The function of noun modification is just that, a function. The kind
of
word that carries out that function varies. In spite of the many
teachers who will fight to the death over it, a noun that modifies a
noun does not become an adjective. It remains a noun, but carries out
an
adjectival function: modifying a noun. (One might see this as a merely
terminological dispute -- how "adjective" is defined -- but there are
principled reasons for keeping form and function distinct.)

The same goes for clause roles. A clause (by my definition) has a
subject. Various 'species' can fill the subject slot:

Noun phrase:                    Her lies were obvious.
Gerund phrase:                  Janet's lying to her children was
                                stupid.
Clause:                         That she was lying was obvious.
For-to infinitive:              For her to lie was stupid.
To-infinitive:                  To lie is stupid.
Nonfinite clause:               Janet lying is something I wouldn't
want
                                to see happen.
Prepositional phrase:           Under the bed is a good place to store
                                this
box.

(This is not the same as "Under the bed there is a good place to store
this box". The place for storing the box is "under the bed" in
general,
not a specfic part of the space under the bed, which is the "there is"
reading.)

Johanna Rubba   Associate Professor, Linguistics
English Department, California Polytechnic State University
One Grand Avenue  * San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Tel. (805)-756-2184  *  Fax: (805)-756-6374 * Dept. Phone.  756-2596
* E-mail: [log in to unmask] *      Home page:
http://www.cla.calpoly.edu/~jrubba

interface at:

interface at:

This message may contain confidential information, and is
intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it
is addressed.

interface at: