ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2008 13:35:05 -0500
Bob,
   I apologize if I assumed too much about your reading. Whatever you have
read about cognitive grammar seems to have left you with the wrong
assumptions. We can leave it at that.
   I assume there is a great deal more to this list than understanding the
developing writer. I am first and foremost a writing teacher, but that
is not my only interest or the only interest on the list. People quite
often ask questions about grammar than don't have direct teaching
applications.
   I think it's uncalled for to say I "teach where the student is
and not where you think this student should be."  I am a hugely successful
teacher working with the neediest of students. I haven't done that for
decades without assessing where a student needs to be. But that, to me, is
part of the hostility you bring to the conversation.
   Rather than ask an open-ended question, you threw a sentence at me and
then challenged me to discuss how cognitive grammar would deal with it.
Otherwise, I would have answered more directly out of my own
experience.
   One assigment I have been working on, and one that worked particularly
well this semester, I call "What's in a word." We take a word with a
long history and more than one part of speech (this time "hand),
explore its history (including the OED), different idioms, different
metaphoric extensions ("give me a nand," "I've got to hand it to you"),
grammatical constructs, compound noun combinations, and so on. Students
seem to like it and get a lot from it. We get to see the
lexico-grammatical system at work in a very playful way.
   In a writing class, I start very early with the idea that a sentence
can be thought of as a construal of an experience, and that comes up
quite a bit with writing decisions. Can we construe that differently?
Obviously, different syntactic options are part of that, but are also
treated as inherent to the system.
   I also treat sentences as discourse sensitive. They should work in
harmony with the sentences around them and with the evolving purposes
of the writer. (see the opening to the 4th chapter in my book.)
   For the 4 C's conference in March, I am working on my part of a
workshop on the grammar/genre connection, "the grammar of narrative."
As part of a panel with Deb Rossen-Knil and Rei Noguchi on alternative
grammars, I will be presenting on "grounding" as a concept in cognitive
grammar (see Langacker, 2008, chapter 9)  From this persepctive, there
are resources within the grammar to ground noun phrases and verb
phrases (finite) within a discourse context. I'm hoping it will open up
possibilities to teachers who tend to think of grammar as merely
formal.
   If we want writers to develop, I find it helpful to think of writing
choices, including syntax, as not merely formal, but highly functional.
We want to develop flexible writers, able to use meaning-making options
with some facility. Cognitive and functional approaches seem more in
harmony with that.
   The current status quo position--and I won't blame that on anyone
here--seems to be that forms are acquired, and there's no need for much
conscious knowledge on the part of the student. We may guide the
acquisition, but we don't build a robust understanding. Perhaps you and
I disagree on how much conscious knowledge about langauge is useful for
a native speaker.
   I sincerely hope we can respect each other's efforts in this important
work, however divergent the paths might be at times.

Craig
 Craig,