ATEG Archives

January 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 20:07:41 -0500
Kathryn,

   I think this mostly comes down to differences in our views of language.
 Yours may be more mainstream, but mine is more mainstream within the
writing (composition) community, which might explain why there's such a
gap between grammar and writing.
   I like the idea that anxiety is functional.  But when I'm feeling
anxiety in relation to my writing, it's not that it needs "correcting",
but that it isn't accomplishing what I want it to. (Not clear,
thoughtful, interesting, useful, convincing, whatever the purpose might
be.) Believe it or not, I work hard to make my writing seem like
something a person might actually say.
    If Herb is right (he has me convinced) the function of case has been
shifting toward the pragmatic.  Is that a weakening of the language,
something we should fight against?  I'm more apt to use it for
rhetorical effect to the extent that i understand it. At any rate, we
might be taking arms against the sea if we oppose it. I may not like
the law of gravity, but I have to live in a gravity world.
   A traditional view of grammar is that it's the set of constraints that
govern what is considered acceptable within more formal discourse.
Most writing teachers, and I'm certainly one, feel we need to hold that
in abeyance while writing answers far more important concerns.  There's
a pretty good literature out there that shows the compulsion to
"correct' writing (rather than revise) is characteristic of
inexperienced and ineffective writers. To the extent that we spend
considerable time getting students ready to meet arbitrary and
dysfunctional standards, we have distorted the whole notion of writing.
 As you know, though, I'm all in favor of a far deeper and wider
understanding of language.  Avoiding superficial error seems a
distraction from a far richer, far more interesting subject, the
language itself and how it works and operates.
    From a functional perspective, meaning happens in and through the
grammar.  These are rhetorical choices, not merely formal ones.
    I help people with writing for "formal" registers all the time.  Most
are very happy that I demand much more than correctness.   >
    I have a great deal of difficulty with the notion of "standard
English."  We tend to talk about it as if it were set in stone and was
actually existing somewhere to be studied and emulated.  It's an
abstract concept. Even if we decide it is evidenced by the work of the
"best writers", who are we to include in that category?
   I'm certainly not in favor of losing your reader by using terms or
constructs they aren't familiar with. But that's a far cry from saying
that a dialect is inherently incorrect. You write with your audience in
mind, and that may mean recognizing that their lives have been  more
privileged than your own.
    I suspect we get to the same place from opposite directions, but I
also think the direction you come from has enormous repercussions.

Craig

You say, "These prescriptions go on making people distrust their own