ATEG Archives

March 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:12:32 -0500
Stephanie,
   Another great question.  I may have set you up for this by suggesting
"unwrapped" might be adverbial without going into detail about why that
won't work.
   One way to understand this would be to put an "ly" on the end of
"black" and see how that would change the meaning.  "She served the
coffee blackly" would clearly be about the way she served it and not
about the coffee. (She was in a dark mood that day.) Another useful
test for object complement is to put some form of the verb to be
between the direct object and the word group that follows.  ("The
coffee is black." But not "the coffee is blackly.")
   In "She served the coffee quick" (or "quickly"), I would see "quick" or
"quickly" as modifying the verb.
   In "she served the black coffee", I would see "the black coffee" as a
single noun phrase acting as direct object. To say "she served the
coffee black" implies that she controlled it, that she brought that
about. We also understand that the coffee itself is "black." (We might
add milk as a result.)
   It's wonderful to think we have these options as language users and
that subtle shades of meaning can be expressed by the kinds of choices
we make.  It's not a matter of being "correct" so much as it's a matter
of being able to choose between these subtly different meanings. If you
can develop that kind of sensitivity to the way meaning and grammar
interesect,you can put it to great use in reading and writing.

Craig Hancock

 Dear Mr. Hancock,