ATEG Archives

November 1995

From:
Reinhold Schlieper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 1995 22:34:20 -0500
> Whether we are talking about sentences, paragraphs, or whole books, it
> has always been clear to me that defining "the main idea" is hopeless,
> since it has as much or more to do with the audience as it does with ther
> speaker.  Consider a case in which young Jeremy, not a stellar student,
> comes home and announces: "If I get A's on my nexct three French tests, I
> can get a C in the course!"

I hate to beat the proverbial dead horse, but I think Mom and Dad are
likely to come up with a more predictable response, had Jeremy said,
"Wow! I can get a C in my French course if I can ace the next three
tests."  And so I shall stubbornly persist in believing in the magic of
placement. <grin>

==Cheerio, Reinhold
                         Dr. Reinhold Schlieper
Humanities Department                              500 Shadow Lakes Boulevard
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University                            Apartment 139
Daytona Beach FL  32114                                Ormond Beach FL  32174
Phone: 904-226-6664                                       Phone: 904-676-9392