ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2008 14:06:40 -0500
One of the problems I've had with elementary readers is illustrated by the last sentence in Beth's list, "A man ran."  While this sentence is not formally ungrammatical, English tends strongly to avoid sentences with indefinite subjects unless the subject contains significant new information or is used generically.  Thus in the Ben Franklin proverb "A lie stands on one leg, the truth on two," the indefinite "a lie" works because it is generic, parallel to the equally generic "the truth."  But a simple indefinite specific noun phrase like "a man" will usually come later in a sentence.  That's why English has structures like the existential "There was a man running/who ran" and passive voice, another technique for putting an indefinite in focus position, the normal place for new information.

Perhaps this stretches the notion "grammatical sentence" a bit, but I would put at least a question mark before "A man ran."

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University