ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2006 16:19:22 -0400
Herb,
   It would be interesting to add a third kind of sentence to your first
exercise:
 1) You seem to shift topics too quickly. I want to hear more, but you
move on.
 2) This sentence doesn't seem to fit.
 3) This doesn't seem like something the character would actually say.
 4) I think the emphasis is on the wrong words.
 5) I think this sentence is important, but you could say it in a lot less
words.
 6) This seems worth more attention than it gets in the middle of this
long sentence in the middle of this long paragraph.
 7) This isn't clear.
 8) I felt irritated that you are telling me how to feel.

   My opening move in a writing OR grammar course is often to talk about
THREE kinds of lenses: not just "correct" or "grammatical" (the two
competing lenses you are laying out), but "effective."

   I tell them "a sentence is not a complete thought," and that seems to
get their attention. Sentences can vary widely in the amount of
information they contain and in the ways that information is organized.
We can declare a sentence grammatical or "correct" on the basis of the
isolated sentence. But we can't make judgements about the
"effectiveness" of a sentence until we see its place within the
discourse. We have to look at the sentences before and after and make
inferences about the writer's evolving purposes. When we do, we begin
to notice aspects of syntax that participate in this effectiveness.
Effective writers make choices on the basis of their rhetorical goals.
We don't notice them if we never think to look. It's a dimension of
grammar that is routinely shortchanged, and this accounts in part for
the disconnection between reading, writing, and grammar. Observing that
a writer's sentences are grammatical or correct doesn't get us very far
toward finding the meaning.   >

   It's not that "correct" or "grammatical" are not important, but they
seem to me an incomplete perspective, and when they conflict, as they
often do, there's no easy way to resolve the difficulties. A
descriptive grammar that simply calls the prescriptive into question
doesn't give us final answers. And it leaves us on the margins of
English studies, not in the center, where we should be.

Craig
Christine,