ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
"Kathleen M. Ward" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:51:37 -0700
I have always liked Lynn Berk's "take" on the present perfect, as put
forth in _English Syntax_.  I have used it shamelessly when I teach
the grammar course.  She describes the various uses of the perfect:

1.  An action or series of action began in the past and continues to
(or through) the present moment.

	Horatia has developed many new uses for parsnips.  (she's done it in
the past and may continue to do so.)

2.  An event is technically over but has "current relevance."

	Horatia has dropped the pan of parsnips.  (and they are all over the
floor)

	I think this would cover the "Sir, I've finished" usage

3.  The "experiential perfect"  in which the subject has had  (or has
not had) an experience in the past that leads up to the present,
especially in questions in negatives.

	I haven't tried Horatia's parsnip preserves.

4.  The "hot news" perfect, often with an exclamation mark, or in
headlines.  This has to be something in the very recent past.

	Horatia has been fired!

	This might also apply to the "Sir, I've finished" usage--I suppose
depending on the tone of voice.

I have always found _English Syntax_ very good as a reference for
uses of various forms; as a textbook it's more problematic.

Kathleen Ward
UC Davis