ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
"Ingerman, Prudence (INGERMAN)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 2009 10:56:50 -0400
I am delighted to join this group of grammar gurus.

I have a brother-in-law.  I have two brothers-in-law.    My elder brother-in-law's son is also a doctor.

My sister is an attorney-at-law.   Her three siblings are also attorneys-at-law.  The attorney-at-law's office is on the 3rd floor.

Is there a rule about this?   That's the question.  Why is it incorrect to say - the attorney's-at -law office.  What is special about that tacked-on prepositional phrase?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Prudence Ingerman - IEP Juniata College