ATEG Archives

November 2009

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 2009 10:26:06 -0500
Brian,
   Technically, the finite auxiliary stands in for the entire predicate
and not just the verb phrase, though that gets obscured here because the
predicate is rather bare.
   "I didn't know how to talk to girls, but my brother did." "Did",
here, doesn't just replace "knew", but the whole predicate it heads.
    It's interesting that "She looked better than she looked" or "She
looked better than she did" would seem confusing, but "she looked better
than she had" would not.
   "Did" by itself would imply things are happening at the same time,
though we can vary that with adverbial modification. It can even
designate an action that hasn't happened yet, as in "She looked better
than she did two days later." Here, we would have the option of "would".
"She looked better than she would two days later." "would", like "had"
would have the benefit of working in harmony with the time relations
expressed adverbially.

Craig