ATEG Archives

June 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:35:20 -0400

Carol,
   I read the article in part because the inbox announced that Martha
Kolln had been consulted. Martha's comments are about the only
thoughtful part of it. It left me thinking that it's not the death of
the sentence that's a problem, but the general shallowness of
conversation about it, including those (Martha the main exception) in
our "discipline" of English who weighed in. I suspect they thought any
working journalist could handle the topic, but the results in this case
are comic.
   The idea that the sentence was "invented several centuries" ago and
"brought order to chaos" is the sort of silliness that fills the bulk
of the article.
   It's high tine for NCTE to begin advocating at least some direct
teaching about language.

Craig >

Hi everyone. This was in my NCTE inbox this morning, so some of you may