ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
Dianne E Loyet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:43:37 -0600
Dear Colleagues:

I recently joined ATEG, and I am thoroughly enjoying the discussions of English grammar and teaching.

I am now beginning my dissertation research at NYU on pedagogical grammar courses in MA TESOL programs. Through my research I hope to contribute something new to the ongoing debate about grammar teaching by shedding light on what occurs in pedagogical grammar courses.

Please read my announcement below, and help me if you can, by volunteering or passing this message on to those you know who teach pedagogical grammar courses in MA TESOL programs.

Sincerely,

Dianne Loyet

***********************************

New York University
Steinhardt School of Education
Multilingual Multicultural Studies Program

RESEARCH PARTICIPANTS NEEDED FOR STUDY ON
PEDAGOGICAL GRAMMAR COURSES IN MA TESOL PROGRAMS

Explicit grammar instruction has gone in and out of fashion as a component of English as a Second Language (ESL) classes, but pedagogical grammar courses have remained a stable requirement in the preparation of ESL teacher candidates. The goal of this research is to analyze the syllabi of pedagogical grammar courses in master’s degree programs in teaching ESL (TESOL) in the United States to understand the prevailing approach to preparing ESL teacher candidates to teach English grammar. Follow-up interviews with selected participants will also be conducted.

Principal investigator:	Dianne Loyet, PhD Candidate
                                New York University
                                Multilingual Multicultural Studies Program

Dissertation Committee Chair: Dr. Miriam Eisenstein Ebsworth,
                                        New York University
                                        Multilingual Multicultural Studies Program

Instructors of pedagogical grammar courses please contact Dianne Loyet to arrange participation:

Dianne Loyet
(309) 363-3107