ATEG Archives

June 2006

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:21:49 -0700
'Go' has been used as a quotative in American English since the 1940s,
so it's not particularly recent. I'm unaware of any evidence that its
use has been on the rise lately. In fact, I seem to recall reading
somewhere (sorry--can't recall the source--something by Labov, perhaps?)
that the use of 'like' as a quotative has displaced much of the former
use of 'go'. You may be suffering from what the linguists at Language
Log call the Recency Illusion. (see, for example,
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002386.html)

Its use is, of course, still casual, but if you do try to correct your
children, you should realize that you may well not be successful, as
children are often quite resistant to language correction. They'll have
to learn to avoid it in formal writing at some point, but trying to
stamp it out of their speech isn't the best way to accomplish that.

Karl