ATEG Archives

August 1999

From:
Maureen Fitzpatrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 14:36:52 -0500
I'm sorry I wasn't clearer in my disclaimer about the statistic where I
tried to acknowledge that I knew it wasn't on point.  The reason I used the
statistics was to try (unsuccessfully, apparently) to make this point: while
one technique or strategy may work wonderfully well for some people, many do
not work at all for others.

In the case of the example, it was phonetics, but it could be anything
including grammar instruction.  It is not a matter of grammar or process
being taught well or not well; it is not a matter of students not trying or
being too slow; it is that different things work for different people.  That
is why I thought the statement made at the end of one of the original posts
that process writing hadn't produced better writers than the writers of an
earlier generation was flawed.  I am sorry if I wasn't clear--I would never
try to use statistics to prove one thing was inferior or not because of
course they are flawed, etc.  I wouldn't even stand behind the 25% (it could
be 23% or 42% or 5% depending on the researcher) but I do think it is
important to know that not all things work for all people--no matter how
well or how thoroughly they are taught.

The key is variety in approaches.    That's what I was not quite getting
out.

Maureen