ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 21:28:08 -0400
John,

Could you give us some examples?  With some adjectives the adverb is formed by zero-derivation, as in fast/fast.  With others the -ly is optional, as in slow/slow/slowly.  In some cases the -ly is not adverbial, as in friendly.  For an adverb like hardly, the semantic connection to hard is obscure.  And then there are cases like careful/carefully, where omission of -ly reflects a difference in dialect or register or both.  Do the examples you're seeing cluster into any of these categories?

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University