ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
James Bear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 08:56:45 -0500
Here's how I tackle grammatical instruction:

Every week, we devote a day to analyzing a student paper.  We rip it
apart.  Students find errors.  We find a rule that is violated with that
error.  Then, we classify that rule into one of two types of rules.  It
is either steadfast or dependent -- meaning it is a rule that must
always be followed or if it is a rule that is dependent on context.
Most rules are dependent.  Quotation marks around quotes would be
steadfast.  Most spelling conventions are steadfast, but not all.  For
example, which is right -- dialog or dialogue?  Grey or gray?  Why?
Certainly not steadfast and at least with dialog and dialogue we could
possibly change it depending on context.  And this follows with almost
all of the grammatical conventions.  Even using "ain't" could be
acceptable when writing dialogue, unless it's a dialog box.

--

James Sebastian Bear
Montpelier Public School