ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2006 22:14:32 -0400
Allison,

You sound like a native Southerner.  I first heard "might could" from the realtor we were working with in Atlanta in 1974 to find a house.  I was astonished to hear what I had only read about in my linguistics training.  It's called a double modal.  One also hears "might should" and "might should oughta".  I've never heard any of these forms negated, with a not after the first modal.  The double modal construction is found in Middle English as well, so it's not particularly new.  It's just isolated to a few varieties of spoken English.

Herb