ATEG Archives

April 2009

Date:
Sun, 19 Apr 2009 09:23:58 -0400
I picked up this phrase from my father's sermons in the early 40's to
mid-50's.  Father was quite the wordsmith; therefore, I picked up his
phrasing without question.  Inasmuch as his sermons were borrowed by
several noted evangelists of that period and went into print under their
names, it sounds as if the reference book cited might have been limited
in its sources.  I also heard my mother's father use the phrase in the
same time period as my father.  Unlike my father, he spoke very little.

Never having heard a speech by Bush or read an excerpt of one in a
newspaper, I can aver that I could not have gotten the phrase from him.

I do believe that "hone in on" is taken from the verb 'hone' rather than
an error for 'home.'  I always took the expression to mean 'get to the
point.'  The phrase could very likely have been influenced by the
parallel construction 'home in on'--an expression with which, I confess,
I was unfamiliar.

Thanks for the comment and the compliment.  I must admit, however, that
my postings on line contain more errors than my written work--I not only
make more errors but also catch fewer.  At work, I always printed out my
postings and read them before I sent them.  Being on disability retirement,
I have neither the funds nor the inclination.  If I make an error--so what.
I say so and get on with it.  My statements no longer serve as documentation
for personnel actions but merely contribute to discussion.

I will state that the credentials cited for Mr. Pulliam in no way indicate
that he knows anything whatsoever about errors made by student writers.
His comments prove his ignorance on the subject.  The least experienced
writing teacher on this list is quire probably more knowledgeable than
Mr. Pulliam ever will be because he so obviously lacks the experience and,
in his rarified position, is too ignorant to know that he is ignorant.

I do not like to talk behind a person's back: I certainly hope that someone
is referring our discussion to Mr. Pulliam.

Scott Catledge