ATEG Archives

March 2008

From:
Edmond Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2008 02:47:16 +0000
>Michael,

The clause in question is undoubtedly restrictive; otherwise, the sentence
would effectively read as follows:  'a review from a man, if fair and
moderately favourable, is in all respects the best kind of review' -- which
has the unlikely implication that Darwin was a misogynist!

Edmond

Dr. Edmond Wright
3 Boathouse Court
Trafalgar Road
Cambridge
CB4 1DU
England

Email: [log in to unmask]
Website: http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/elw33/
Phone [00 44] (0)1223 350256

I was recently re-examining a short letter written by Charles Darwin in