ATEG Archives

June 2008

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:00:40 -0400
Patricia,

I certainly call them sentences in my classes, since my students -- and I! -- have grown up with that term. There's a problem, I think, only if we start assuming that writers in 900 c.e. thought that their texts had boundaries exactly where we'd put them, and were just waiting around for the right punctuation to be developed. We all have a natural tendency to reify descriptions that we initially adopted for their pragmatic value, so I think it behooves us to acknowledge on a regular basis that our units and labels might not reflect "reality" in any sense.

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University