ATEG Archives

October 2005

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:20:15 -0700
Ed keeps talking about teaching grammar as though grammar were separate
from linguistics or sociolinguistics. It isn't. Any reason for teaching
grammar at all is a sociolinguistic reason. And describing  grammar --
the way a language works -- is the task of linguistics. And linguistics
does it better than the pedagogical tradition.

I found Amanda Godley's remarks very interesting and helpful. The focus
on standardized tests is a problem. I don't know what other states'
tests look like. The test practice exercises I've looked at for CA
generally do not include testing knowledge of terminology. Several
options for structuring a sentence -- usually provided in a _little
bit_ of context -- are offered, and the students must choose one.
Apparently, they are expected to use what they learn in grammar class
to make the choice.

Of course, these choices will come naturally to some students while
others will have to decide between items that sound right in their
nonstandard home dialect and the "correct" standard forms. My own
students worked some practice problems, and there was a clear
difference in their performance depending on how much their home speech
conformed to the standard. Most of my students speak standard English,
but a version which has abandoned some of the older distinctions, like
who/whom. On items which required choosing an irregular past tense or
past participle, for example, the scores were near 100% for the class,
but on who/whom questions, most had no clue how to figure out which
answer was correct. So a major problem is helping students understand
how to attack those questions whose answers vary from their home
English. For pronoun case in conjuncts, for example ("Mary and me went
to the store"), take away the name and "and". "Me went to the store"
will be rejected. Same for "The teacher invited my sister and I to her
house" -- "The teacher invited I to her house" will not fly with most,
if not all, students. They then just keep the solo pronoun when they
restore the rest of the conjunct.

Linguistics has produced these techniques for helping students become
aware of their intuitive knowledge of grammar. These have been
discussed on this list several times. I believe a number of them can be
incorporated into grammar teaching as an aid to completing lesson
exercises and practice tests. It wouldn't be necessary to bring in
outside materials beyond, perhaps, a xeroxed handout or a transparency.
Teachers can even simply write test frames on the board. Students can
then work with the sentences in their books or in their own writing.

These can then supplement or replace the vague, confusing, or
inaccurate material in the schoolbooks. "Complete thought" can be
redefined as "complete sentence", which in turn is shown to be a string
which can go into the frame "I am convinced that ___". The difference
between count and mass nouns can be tested by having students try to
put "much" vs. "many" in front of the noun. Transitive verbs can be
discovered by attempting to put a noun phrase after the verb: "I slept
the pillow" doesn't work, but "I fluffed the pillow" does.

Sociolinguistics has given us a method for teaching grammar
successfully to students whose home dialect is not standard English:
comparative grammar (presented, for example, in work by Rebecca Wheeler
and Rachel Swords). This method simultaneously teaches children a
number of things: (i) it shows the immediate usefulness of grammatical
terminology and analysis as a way of comparing kinds of English to one
another as well as just for talking about one's writing; (ii) it shows
the students that nonstandard varieties of English follow just as many
rules as standard varieties; (iii) it shows students how much language
varies according to the context of use and the audience. Also, at least
in the one test case that Wheeler and Swords report, it is successful
-- students enjoy grammar lessons, master standard English, and succeed
on standardized tests.

Basic sociolinguistics information is essential for teachers. Part of
their job is helping to produce informed citizens. Teachers who
continue to teach dialect-based prejudice and myths like "bad English"
will perpetuate our discriminatory school system and society. They will
also never rid themselves of the (often subconscious) lowered
expectations they form for students who speak nonstandard English.
Children perform largely in accordance with teacher expectation. Since
grammar teaching has long been the very vehicle by which language-based
prejudices are expressed, it is especially important for grammar
teachers to have sociolinguistics education. What's silly is that
current teachers and schoolbooks still teach that double negatives are
illogical or that "they" can't be used as a singular indefinite because
it is grammatically plural (so is "you"!)

... So I guess Ed dives into grammatical analysis with his students
beginning with whatever sentences naturally emerge in their writing,
whether simple or complex. It's true that this is what happens when you
have students work on their own product. I don't see why one has to
proceed thus, however. You have to start with simpler examples and work
towards more-complex ones. I see nothing wrong with the teacher
adapting some student sentences to simpler forms, working with those,
then building them back up to their original forms.

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Associate Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Department
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Tel.: 805.756.2184
Dept. Ofc. Tel.: 805.756.2596
Dept. Fax: 805.756.6374