ATEG Archives

December 2011

From:
Stephen King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2011 18:04:20 -0600
Can anyone direct me to a text that focuses, at length, on the differences between spoken and written versions of language? It seems to me that a great many of my community college students, especially those who have been out of school for some time, use a version of English that could be characterized as "Spoken English Written Down." (A colleague suggested the acronym "SPEWD.") I have my own list of those differences, but am looking for other resources. Many thanks in advance!

Steve King