ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
John Curran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2006 23:07:30 -0400
Dear Carolyn,
  I was so happy to get your reply and straight away I ordered your
`Meaning First: A Functional Handbook of Fifty Ways to Polish Your
Writing`.
  I would love to know how you went about (and are hopefully still going
about)teaching functional grammar in your classes.
  Is there any opportunity of getting a copy of the presentation of your
research to the national Conference on College Composition and
Communication (CCCC, part of the National Council of Teachers of English,
NCTE)?
  Here in Japan the teaching by expatriate teachers is centred on an
eclectic approach combining different elements of :traditional
grammar,communicative language techniques and more recently task based
approaches. (In the last six months I have found an excellent task-based
textbook that works well with my students). Unfortunately the functional
grammar approach as practiced in New South Wales - zero!
  Thank you so much for offering to help - are you by any chance an
expat.Aussie?
  I guess the weather in Texas is not so good at the moment but I can
assure you in Tokyo it is worse.
     Regards,
        John